The GACE (Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators) Paraprofessional assessment is an evaluation designed for prospective and practicing paraprofessionals in the state of Georgia. It measures skills and knowledge in reading, writing, and math, as well as the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to assist in classroom instruction. Here is a brief overview of the assessment:
Purpose of the GACE Paraprofessional Assessment:
- Credentialing: It is used by paraprofessionals to demonstrate their qualifications for a position in a Georgia school.
- Compliance: The assessment is part of the requirements under the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB), which mandates that paraprofessionals working in schools that receive Title I funding must have proven academic abilities.
Structure of the Assessment:
- Content Areas: The test covers three main areas: reading, writing, and mathematics.
- Format: It is typically formatted as a multiple-choice test, with some questions possibly requiring written responses.
- Delivery: The test is administered either as a computer-delivered test or in a paper-based format, depending on the test center’s facilities.
Preparing for the Test:
- Study Guides and Practice Tests: There are official study guides and practice tests available to help examinees prepare for the assessment.
- Workshops and Courses: Some educational institutions may offer workshops or courses designed to prepare paraprofessional candidates for the GACE assessment.
- Online Resources: Various online resources and practice exercises can also help candidates strengthen their reading, writing, and math skills.
Registration and Fees:
- Candidates must register for the test online and pay the associated fees, which can be found on the official GACE website.
- Test-takers can choose from a variety of testing locations and dates throughout the year.
- It is important to arrive at the testing center early with proper identification.
- The test usually has a time limit, and it is essential to manage time efficiently.
Scoring and Results:
- Scores are typically based on the number of correct answers, with no penalty for guessing.
- Results are used by schools to make hiring decisions and to ensure paraprofessionals have the necessary basic skills.
Importance for Paraprofessionals:
- Validation of Skills: Passing the GACE Paraprofessional assessment validates a paraprofessional’s skills and readiness to support certified teachers in the classroom.
- Employment Requirement: For many schools, particularly those with Title I programs, passing the assessment is a requirement for employment.
- Professional Development: Preparing for and taking the assessment can be seen as a form of professional development for paraprofessionals, helping them identify areas where they might need further improvement or training.
Here is a sample question in each of those areas:
Reading Comprehension Sample Question:
Read the passage below and answer the question that follows.
During the late 18th century, the Industrial Revolution began to transform life in Europe and the United States. The innovation of steam power and the creation of large factories led to the mass production of goods. These changes also brought about significant shifts in social structures and economic dynamics.
What was a primary result of the creation of large factories during the Industrial Revolution?
A) The decline of agricultural practices B) The mass production of goods C) The reduction in urban populations D) The decrease in trade with other countries
Correct Answer: B) The mass production of goods
Mathematics Sample Question:
Solve the following problem:
If 5x – 3 = 2, what is the value of x?
A) 1 B) 0 C) -1 D) 5
Correct Answer: A) 1
Writing Sample Question:
Identify the sentence that is written correctly.
A) Their going to the library to study for their GACE test. B) They’re going to the library to study for they’re GACE test. C) There going to the library to study for there GACE test. D) They’re going to the library to study for their GACE test.
Correct Answer: D) They’re going to the library to study for their GACE test.
The GACE Paraprofessional assessment is a critical step for those seeking to work as educational paraprofessionals in Georgia. It ensures that individuals have met certain educational standards necessary to support teachers and help students in the learning process. With adequate preparation, candidates can successfully demonstrate their proficiency and commitment to education through this assessment.